OT: find command permissions: how to exclude dir?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue Nov 4 18:39:15 UTC 2008

Dave Burns wrote:

> man page on find -prune was not clear to me, but I tried all combos I
> can think of, nothing works as I'd wish:
> [tburns at cod ~]$ sudo find /users/tburns -name .gvfs -prune
> find: /users/tburns/.gvfs: Permission denied
> [tburns at cod ~]$ sudo find /users/tburns -prune -name .gvfs
> [tburns at cod ~]$ sudo find /users/tburns \( -prune -name .gvfs \)
> [tburns at cod ~]$ sudo find /users/tburns \( -name .gvfs -prune \)
> find: /users/tburns/.gvfs: Permission denied

You need to tell find what to do with files not named .gvfs:

find /users/tburns -name .gvfs -prune -o -print

> And now that I've logged out & back in and .gvfs is mounted again, I
> can test the other suggested workaround involving remount. This also
> does not work for me, though I may be giving the wrong form of mount
> command:
>
> [tburns at cod ~]$ sudo mount -o remount -o exec -o suid  -o rw /users/tburns/.gvfs
> [tburns at cod ~]$ sudo find /users/tburns/.gvfs
> find: /users/tburns/.gvfs: Permission denied

I'm not sure what was mounted in the examples mentioned earlier.  My
understanding of FUSE is that the process providing the FS is the one
that must perform the mount.  Remounting manually should mount nothing.