No Sound in FC 8

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 00:24:36 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> FC 8/ KDE
>
> Using a SB Live EMU10K1, snd-emu10k1 module .
>
> If I run the SoundCard Detection Tool , It will play sound.
>
> If I try to play FlashPlayer on youtube.com or a  Mplayer video(I get
>  video)  but I don't get any sound.
>
> libflashsupport is installed.
>
> If I do a Sound playback in KDE control Center I get NO Sound.
> --

Hi Jim!

Your probably way ahead of me on this but most sound problems such as
you indicate here I find related to the volume settings.  Try clicking
the speaker icon once to check the general volume.  If OK then double
click and run through the Playback settings making sure the desired
one is not only "up" but also not muted (little red X on most of
them).  Also take note of the "Edit > Preferences" in the drop down
menu.

Other than that I would look in /var/log/messages, /var/log/dmesg, and
/var/log/kern.  You might also try running with SELinux disabled for a
session.

Good Hunting

Tod