SANE Support in Fedora 9 for HP

Jeff Maxwell vohnmaxwell at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 5 04:55:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 22:00 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Jeff Maxwell writes:
>
> > I have a very old HP OfficeJet 630 parallel port multifunction
> > printer/scanner/fax machine.
> >
> > Prior to Fedora 9, I had no problems with xsane/sane recognizing the
> > scanner function.
> >
> > After installing Fedora 9 and going to the Software Add to include the
> > HP support for sane, xsane still can not find my device.
> >
> > I have installed it as a printer without any issues.
>
> This scanner is not listed as a supported scanner by sane:
>
> http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html
>

> However, googling around suggests that there's some support in hplip:
>
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/officejet/officejet_series_630.html
>
> Make sure you have the hplip rpm installed.

It seems that the issue is between "root" and my local user.  If I sign
on under "root", the HP Device application has no problem finding my
OfficeJet.  Nor does it have any problems with the scan function.

If I am signed on as my local user, the system is unable to communicate
with the printer.

I did find that while going through the set up process for the printer
under my local sign in, that it asked for my password.  After typing it
in several times, I hit the cancel button.

There may be a disconnect where by the application is unable to
recognize my local sign on password.