Document Scanners that work with F9

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Nov 6 23:29:15 UTC 2008

Todd Denniston writes:

> Sam Varshavchik wrote, On 11/05/2008 06:35 PM:
>> I, personally, use the Cannon MF-4270. I had to hack some bugs out of
>> sane's pixma driver, but once I did that, it worked fine. The fixes went
>> upstream, they should be in the next version of sane, so until then
>> you'll have to pull them out of CVS and temporarily build your own driver.
>>
>> The MF-4270 is really a multifunction scanner/copier/printer/fax
>> machine. AFAIK, there is no support for the printer part of it, in CUPS,
>> but I don't need the printer+fax functionality. It works fine for me as
>> a scanner+copier. Supports both the flatbed and the document feeder, for
>> scanning.
>>

> The actual printer _device_ driver for CUPS is often gutenprint[1].

I already have gutenprint installed. I'm not sure how gutenprint is supposed
to interface with CUPS, but when I try to select the printer, this Canon
model is not listed.

> I have seen a far amount of traffic on the gutenprint list[2] where some folks
> are trying to support some of the cannon equipment.  And as you don't seem to
> be adverse to working out of a dev repository, perhaps you might want to take
> a look and see if your multifunction device is already supported or if you
> could give them the few needed pointers to get it supported.

Well, I still don't see this Canon model listed as supported in the
documentation in the latest, a fairly recent, release.

The only reason I could hack sane is because its supported for the scanner
was already there, it just had some bugs. A complete absence of support for
the entire printer is quite a different beast.