What is Fedora..

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Fri Nov 7 17:45:51 UTC 2008

Monty wig wrote:

> Sorry for this silly question but I am a newbie trying to learn linux
> and wondering what is Fedora or what is the difference between Fedora
> and linux?

Linux is a kernel which provides device drivers, memory management,
networking, and other essential services.  It is used by nearly all GNU
systems, and a large number of systems that don't use GNU software.

Fedora is one of the most popular distributions of GNU/Linux, of which
there are many. (Wikipedia lists 184 distributions of Linux based systems)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_(operating_system)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Linux_distributions