Thunderbird cannot open attachments with accented filenames

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 18:18:58 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 15:31 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Sometimes, I receive e-mails with attachments whose names contain
> >> accented characters. When I try to open them, for instance, with
> >> OpenOffice, I get an error message telling me that the file does not
> >> exist. The error message indicates a filename with very strange
> >> characters where the accented characters should be. Then, I have to
> >> save the file first and then open it. Something similar occurs with
> >> Firefox, when trying to open files with accented characters in their
> >> names. Is there some solution for this problem? My e-mail client is
> >> Thunderbird, and I am running F9.
> >
> > I'm guessing there might be a conflict between your locale and the MIME
> > encoding of the filename in TBird. If you save an attachment under its
> > default name can you then open it without any further editing of the
> > filename?
>
> Yes, I can Patrick, if I save an attachment under its default name I
> can then open it without any further editing of the filename.

In that case I'm non-plussed. When you click on an attachment in TBird,
my asumption is that it would be saved as a file in /tmp and OO would
then be opened with that name. Perhaps if you post the name OO is trying
to open, copied from the error dialog, someone might be able to decipher
what's going on. Plus the "proper" filename of course.

poc