OpenOfficeWriter: Switch between 1 and 2 columns

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 22:17:38 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 16:17 -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:
> I had found this, but I am still confused about the differences
> between
> section and frames and how the frames are linked together. I'm trying
> convert the mutt reference manual to a more convenient printed form
> since my current hardcopy of that manual is a PITA to work with.

A section is notionally part of the meaningful structure of the
document, e.g. a table of contents, an index etc. A frame is an
arbitrary box of text that you can place anywhere you like. It's more of
a desktop publishing concept than a text composition concept. You can of
course use frames to get multiple columns, but it's more work to do it
that way, e.g. AFAIK frames can't go over page boundaries.

Having said all that, if you're going to invest the time and effort it
might be more useful to do it in Docbook rather than OO. That way you
could have both online and printed versions from the same source. I note
that mutt already has an online manual. Is it different from the printed
version? Can't you edit the online version into Docbook form? Is the
source actually in Docbook form already?!?

poc