How to get sound working in F9

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Nov 13 02:31:17 UTC 2008

GN wrote:
> Hi Waleed,
>
> Sound card is Intel Corp 82801H (ICH Family) HD Audio Controller (Rev 03)
>
> /usr/bin/alsamixer gives 'No mixer elems found'.
>
> Also, clicking on the volume contrtol gives the following:
>
> The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control.
> This means either that you don't have the right GStreamer plugins
> installed, or that you don't have a sound card configured.
>
> You can remove the volume control from the panel by right-clicking the
> speaker icon on the panel and selecting "Remove From Panel" from the menu.

I am not sure about the 82801H, but the 82801G can have problems if
yours is not one of the ones that ALSA know the configuration of.
You then need to specify a model in modprobe.conf to let the driver
know what configuration to use. (The chip can be configured in many
different ways, depending on how the manufacturer wants to use it.)

To make things more interesting, the model that mostly works in one
version of ALSA may not work in the next one. For example, this one
used to work on my Toshibs A105-S4004:

options snd-hda-intel index=0 single_cmd=1 model=ref

In a later version, I had to use:

options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=auto

I still have to find the correct line for the current version when I
have the spare time to do it.

Mikkel