Fedora 10 - no longer rawhide?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 14 00:55:51 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Claude Jones wrote:
>
>>> I've read this thread, but still don't understand exactly
>>> what preupgrade does.
>>> How does it differ at present from "yum update"
>>> which seems to change /etc/fedora-release
>>> to "Fedora release 10 (Cambridge)"?
>> a google of 'fedora preupgrade' yielded the following first hit
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/PreUpgrade
>
> Where exactly does that document answer my query above?

It does and others have provided you the answer you are asking for as
well. If you have specific questions, you should ask that instead since
it is not clear what you haven't understood.

To summarize:

Simply running yum update/upgrade on a system won't take you to the next
release. You need to download fedora-release for the release you want to
upgrade to or change your repositories manually and run yum update. This
usually works but it isn't a "supported" option.

Preupgrade provides a solution that looks overall very similar to a live
upgrade. It downloads the all the package updates from the release you
want to upgrade to (you can continue using your system meanwhile) and
changes grub to boot Anaconda and Anaconda uses the packages downloaded
by preupgrade to upgrade your system.  Preupgrade unlike upgrades via
yum is more of a supported option.

Rahul