Problems with F9

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 14 15:10:57 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 13:41 +0000, Croombe F. Pensom wrote:
> My main objection is that, to use Add/Remove Software F9 always goes
> onto the web for a mirror and this chews up connect time

You can set up a local repo with the installed files from your DVD, so
that anything you install that hasn't had an update, will install from
your repo.  But anything that has since been updated will be grabbed
from the net.  That will minimise some of your problem.  Basically,
change the fedora.repo file to point to a local filesystem, rather than
the internet.  There are some "local repo" programs that can take care
of that sort of thing for you.

And, you can increase the time your yum caches the info, so the next
install will use the last downloaded info for a longer period.

> Does anyone know if it is possible to get ALL Fedora applications etc.
> (i.e. a complete repository) on DVD

There's too many to fit on one DVD, and putting them across several DVDs
doesn't get around the problem of holding onto stale files.

Other things to consider:  Does your ISP offer file downloading from
themselves at a reduced cost?  Is there a computer shop near, or one
that you don't mind using over the net, you that you can buy burnt
Fedora discs?  Is there a local Linux group that you can take a PC to
for an install session?

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.26.6-79.fc9.i686