Pre-Upgrade

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Nov 15 17:08:51 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 11:04 -0500, John Aldrich wrote:
> Silly Question, can Pre-Upgrade be used to upgrade a much older version of
> Fedora to the latest and greatest version? I've got FC6 and normally do a
> wipe and reinstall, but would love to just upgrade. :-)
>
> I think I know the answer, but confirmation would be appreciated. :-)
----
not a silly question at all

don't even try

Assuming that you have reasonably fast bandwidth, the way to do it is to
do 'stepped' upgrades 6 => 7 => 8 => 9 => 10 (you can use Yum to get you
to F9 and then Pre Upgrade for 9 to 10 if you want).

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

There are notes to deal with each step

Craig