Domain of sender address ... does not resolve

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Nov 15 19:56:01 UTC 2008

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 15:07 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> g wrote:

>>> mind posting your /etc/resolv.conf
>> ==========
>>
>> # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!
>>
>> domain tmr.com
>>
>> search tmr.com
>>
>> nameserver 192.168.12.100
>> nameserver 192.168.12.101
>
> This is actually pretty useless without seeing the named config file on
> 192.168.12.100 (and 101 I guess). As someone else already said, it's
> likely to be a reverse lookup failure.

Actually a "I've been down with pneumonia for almost three weeks and tried to
configure three servers in a day" error. No lookup issues, these are the IPs of
my internal DNS for this (tmr.com) domain. And it works for ~12 other systems
just fine.

What happened was that when I configured the system to accept mail on any IP, I
whizzed thru sendmail.mc, changed a number of things, including LOCAL_DOMAIN,
changing localhost.localdomain to tmr.com. After I noted with wireshark that it
not only wasn't failing, but not even asking, the penny dropped. Stuck "dnl" at
the start of the line, ran make, restarted sendmail, all works.

That's what comes from trying to do "something easy" when you are recovering
from being sick, pure operator error. I only admit it in case someone else
shoots themselves in the same foot.

Thanks for all of the fine suggestions and comments!

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>