F9 and move to Hyperthreaded processor

Bob Kinney bc98kinney at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 15 23:03:32 UTC 2008

Hello--

I am running F9 on an older box that has a Pentium 4 non-hyperthreaded
processor--it works great.

I want to plop in a hyperthreaded processor--let's assume here that the processor and mainboard are compatible and working fine together.

When I fire this system back up, how will the kernel react?

I have read that SMP is built into the kernel already, so will it simply
pick up on the "extra" processor and begin working in hyperthreaded/dual
processor mode or will this be an OS rebuild event (or something
in between)?

Regards,

--bc