Is this grub.conf file correct?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sun Nov 16 05:44:39 UTC 2008

On Sun, November 16, 2008 2:41 am, Tim wrote:

> You're missing some things on the kernel line.  It should have a
> structure like this:
>
>   kernel /vmlinuz  ro  root=
>
> Where the root parameter points to wherever "/" is located.

I have added "ro root=/dev/sda3" right after the vmlinuz argument but
nothing changes.

> I'd expect you to see some sort of error message without having any
> referral to where to find the root partition.

Booting in single user mode and running dmesg the only more or less
related lines I see are:

EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery. kjournald starting.
Commit interval 5 seconds.
EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
type=1404 audit (122678963.153:2): enforcing =1 old_enforcing=0
auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295

a few lines below:

SELINUX: initialized (dev sda3, type ext3), uses xattr
SELINUX: initialized (dev rootfs, type rootfs), uses genfs_contexts

EXT3 FS on sda3, internal journal
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal
EXT3-fs: mouinted filesystem with ordered data mode.
SELinux: initialized (dev sda1, type ext3), uses xattr

So sda3 (/) and sda1 (/boot) are not managed in the same way, or at least
don't generate the same notifications. But if I type mount at the prompt,
I get:

/dev/sda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)

as expected (plus lines for proc, tmpfs, sysfs, devpts)

what does all this mean&

tia,

Marco