[sudo-users] How to disable ( deny ) user to change the password of root

edwardspl at ita.org.mo edwardspl at ita.org.mo
Tue Nov 18 04:30:15 UTC 2008

Stephen Carville wrote:

>On Monday 17 November 2008 00:49, edwardspl at ita.org.mo wrote:
>

>>Dear All,
>>
>>For the sudo setting ( visudo ) :
>>
>>User_Alias      SYSADM = manager
>>
>>Cmnd_Alias    NOROOT = !/usr/bin/passwd root
>>Cmnd_Alias    USER = /usr/sbin/adduser, /usr/bin/passwd, /bin/chown,
>>/usr/sbin/userdel
>>
>>SYSADM    MH = (ALL)    NOROOT,USER
>>
>>BUT the test result as the following :
>>
>>[manager at xxx ~]$ sudo passwd root
>>Changing password for user root.
>>New UNIX password:
>>
>>So, what wrong of the config ?
>>

>I think the exception has to be after the allowed rule:
>
>SYSADM    MH = (ALL)    USER,NOROOT
>
>It's been while since I checked that part of the code...

Hello to you,

Just test as the following rule is successfuly:

SYSADM    MH = (ALL)    USER,NOROOT

BUT there is another problem of it ( I think it is a bug of sudo ).....

When you enter "sudo passwd" without the option (eg:userid):

[manager at xxx ~]$ sudo passwd
Changing password for user root.
New UNIX password:

OH...the user manager who can change root password ?

So, is there any solution for this case of problem ?

Thanks !

Edward.