Network Card Naming Issue

Manish Kathuria mkathuria at tuxtechnologies.co.in
Thu Nov 20 00:45:18 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have experienced a strange issue in Fedora 9 while replacing
ethernet cards. Whenever a network card is replaced in Fedora 9, many
times the new NIC takes a new logical interface name instead of taking
the original interface name. For example, if a network card eth0 is
removed from a Fedora 9 system and is replaced by another network
card, the new card appears as eth1 or eth2 instead of eth0. This
happens even if the cards are having the same chipset (and therefore
the driver). What could be the reason for this behaviour ?  It leads
to a number of problems like modification in scripts, etc. I have
never observed this in the earlier distributions.

Thanks,
--
Manish