Mount usb devices

Dave Feustel dfeustel at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 20 22:40:53 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 02:26:28PM -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:

> FFS is the BSD "fast file system" (yes, the Amiga also had an FFS, but
> since the OP said "BSD", I'm going to discount the Amiga).  I think
> Linux' UFS filesystem can mount it but I'm not sure.  If it can, it
> should automount, but UFS may not recognize FFS markers even if it can
> mount it.  You can try forcing UFS to see if it'll work.
>
> First, make a directory somewhere where you want to mount it.  A good
> place would be in either /media or /mnt.  I'd do it in /mnt to leave
> /media pristine for automounts:
>
> 	mkdir /mnt/test
>
> Do a "dmesg" just before you plug in the drive, plug it in, wait a few
> seconds and do "dmesg" again.  The additional lines from dmesg should
> refer to the device you plugged in.  You'll probably see something like
> this:
>
> 	sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
> 	 sdb: sdb1
>
> (that's from plugging in a FLASH drive).  In this case, the drive
> itself is sdb (/dev/sdb) and it contains one partition, sdb1 (or
> /dev/sdb1).  Then:
>
> 	mount -t ufs /dev/sdXY /path/to/your/mount/point
>
> In this case, "mount -t ufs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/test
>
> If it mounts up, voila!  If not, either you didn't specify the right
> partition or UFS doesn't mount FFS stuff.  I don't have any FFS drives
> handy or I'd test it for you.

Thanks for this. I recognise the stuff from dmesg. I was trying to
mount the ffs disk because it is handy. I have another flash device
that I would like to partition as a 2 or 3 partition drive, mkfs
and then copy data to it from (hd0,0). Then I want to recreate
hd0 as a multi-partition drive, install 64-bit f9, and then copy
the data back from the flash drive.

The stumbling block for me was that I didn't understand how the usb
devices are named and accessed in Fedora before they are mounted.
I think I understand naming now.