Partition management on usb devices

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 18:11:45 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-22 at 12:23 -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:
> I have a usb disk drive that has ffs partitions on it.
>
> Is there any way to get fedora to recognize BSD ffs partitions?
>
> If not, what is the procedure for deleting the ffs partitions and
> creating a bunch of linux partitions

man fdisk (to manipulate the partition table)
man mkfs (to create filesystems on partitions)

Note that none of this is specific to USB devices.

> (which partition and file system types are recommended)?

That depends on what you intend to do with it. Any of the types
mentioned in the man pages will work. If this is a pendrive, you might
want to use vfat for easy portability between plataforms. Otherwise,
it's a matter of taste. I use vfat on my pendrive and ext3 on my 500MB
external drive, which never moves from my desktop.

poc