Changing window manager: from metacity to windowmaker

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Sun Nov 23 11:26:54 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I recently installed F10 (rawhide) and realized that, thanks to docker (Thanks
Ben Jansens ! ...and thanks also to awjb for packaging this !), I can now switch
to using windowmaker as my primary desktop environment.

However, since I have become used to some of the things gnome does (automounting
removable disks, for example), I tried changing gnome's default window manager
(metacity) to windowmaker. I assumed all that was needed to make this happen was
changing the key /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager in
gconf-editor. Unfortunately, this did not work.

Now, gnome starts up without a window manager ! If I run wmaker from a terminal
after gnome has started up, it all works fine.

So, my question is, what is the /correct/ way to change gnome's window manager ?

thanks,
- steve