How to make a Novatel Wireless EVDO Broadband Modem work using Network Manager

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Nov 24 01:23:54 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 18:05 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
>> How to make a Novatel Wireless EVDO Broadband Modem work using Network
>> Manager
>>
>> http://www.melvilletheatre.com/articles/novatel-wireless-modem/index.html
>
> I saw the above, and while not having one of those modems, I wonder how
> you cope with a system that, today, treats your modem as /dev/ttyUSB0,
> but tomorrow something else is recognised, first, as a USB device, and
> pushes your modem onto a different device name?  Or, does that not
> happen because your modem would be the only USB *TTY* device to be found
> on a system?

In this case, I think HAL will take care of creating the proper
symlink for it. (/dev/modem?) In other cases, you can create a udev
rule based on the manufacture and device IDs that creates the
symlink you need so you have a consistent device. But in most cases,
you are probably better off letting HAL handle things - maybe adding
some local rules.

Mikkel