How to make a Novatel Wireless EVDO Broadband Modem work using Network Manager

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Mon Nov 24 05:32:15 UTC 2008

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 22:31:06 -0600
Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:

> On Sunday 23 November 2008 09:34:40 pm Frank Cox wrote:
>
> > However, simply booting up without using the modprobe commands in my
> > article doesn't create the /dev/ttyUSB0 device at any time.
> >
> > In addition, I'm now discovering, the modprobe commands don't create
> > the /dev/ttyUSB0 device consistently either.  In fact, while I had this
> > working great earlier today and all of yesterday, now I can't get it to
> > create the /dev/ttyUSB0 device at all.
>  my modem uses the option module udev and hal insert the correct module for
> me.  ive never had any issues getting it working.  full entry from lsusb is
> Bus 001 Device 006: ID 413c:8115 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 5500 Mobile
> Broadband (3G HSDPA) Minicard Modem

Now I have a mystery.

I have three laptops here at the moment.  One Dell Insprion 1501 with Fedora 9
on it which is the laptop that I really intend for this to work on.  One "no
name" Intel laptop with Fedora 9 on it, and one Acer Aspire One with Fedora
10-beta on it.

I just plugged the modem into the Intel and the Acer to see what would happen.
The Acer found it and set up the /dev/ttyUSB0 device for me with no action
required on my part at all.  I set up the connection and away I go.

The Intel didn't set up the /dev/ttyUSB0 device, just like the Dell doesn't.

So... I guess my next step is to put F10-beta on the Dell and see what happens.