LVM extend how (vmware)

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Mon Nov 24 14:13:57 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 15:04 +0100, roland wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I used vmware-vdiskmanager to extend a virtual client
> This virtual client runs fedora and has a LVM.
>
> fdisk /dev/sda
> results in
> /dev/sda1 (id 83) /dev/sda2 (id=8e) /dev/sda3
>
> How can I connect sda3 to VolGroup00
>
> I read all kind of entrees on google, but they are all complicated.
>
> I have to extend this virtual client (30Gb), which is not devided in 2Gb
> partitions, without loss of data
>
> I tried to do it with Knoppix but Knoppix does not recognize LVM
>
> I have to drive 200 km on thursday to a client in France and let it work.
>
> So please? Can anybody help me with a simple method?
> --
> Roland Brouwers

If I understand correctly, you're adding the partition /dev/sda3 to a
volume group.

(1) Prepare the partition for use as a physical volume (PV) (verify that
it does not contain critical data first!):

	pvcreate /dev/sda3

(2) Extend the volume group (VG) by adding the PV to it:

	vgextend NAME_OF_VOLUME_GROUP /dev/sda3

(3) Use the space as you see fit -- extend logical volumes, create
logical volumes, etc.

You should also be able to do this graphically using system-config-lvm,
if desired.

-Chris