100% CPU usage...

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Mon Nov 24 20:58:58 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote, On 11/22/2008 03:13 PM:
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 22:20:21 +0300
> "Waleed Harbi" <waleed.harbi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Have you checked top command results? (top)
>> Try look at TOP results which process utilize the CPU to 100%

`top -b -n1 |grep -A2 -e Cpu -e "%CPU"`
might have been useful to figure out what was going on.

> I'm pretty sure I remember the pcscd that shipped with F8
> having a bug that pegged it at 100% all the time.

It was not a bug in pcscd, but a strange interaction with ifd-cyberjack.bundle
and the ccid bundle.
If someone is having problems with pcscd pulling 100% and they need pcscd,
then I would suggest making sure that:
  if they don't have a device served by ifd-cyberjack,
   then they issue:
    `rpm -e ifd-cyberjack` and `service pcscd restart`
   else if they do have an ifd-cyberjack
	then track down the other ifd's and the ccid package and remove them.

> chkconfig --level 2345 pcscd off
>
> put a stop to that (which isn't a problem unless you actually
> use a smart card reader for authentication).

If it is not needed, then that would be reasonable.

BAH, I need to stop writing logic programs.

--
Todd Denniston