Firefox Crashing/Shutsdown

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 25 15:53:16 UTC 2008

Dave Burns wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
> <mailto:mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net>> wrote:
>
>     Dave Burns wrote:
>
>         On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
>         <mailto:mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net>
>         <mailto:mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
>         <mailto:mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net>>> wrote:
>
>            FC8/kde
>
>            Firefox-2.0.0.18-1.fc8 is crashing when it goes to another
>            website, if I even try to check my Yahoo email on a http or
>         https
>            website.
>
>            I removed and reinstall Firefox and I also removed .mozilla on
>            user directory and didn't make any difference, it still
>            crashes/shutdown, it has no affect on KDE. I can restart
>         Firefox
>            and recover.
>

>         More description needed. Anything interesting in
>         /var/log/messages? Output any error message? GUI window froze
>         or closed? Give us a hint.
>
>         Dave
>
>     This is the part of output from /var/log/messages, when Firefox
>     crashed.
>
>     Nov 24 17:50:02 Ferrells gconfd (lchris-2823): starting (version
>     2.20.1), pid 2823 user 'lchris'

>     Nov 24 17:50:03 Ferrells gconfd (lchris-2825): Failed to get lock
>     for daemon, exiting: Failed to lock '/tmp/gconfd-lchris/lock/ior':
>     probably another process has the lock, or your operating system
>     has NFS file locking misconfigured (Resource temporarily unavailable)
>

> Not clear. You're using KDE or Gnome? I thought gconfd was a gnome
> thing, looks like this is from when you logged in. Or else for some
> reason firefox is causing gconfd to start again, which would sort of
> explain the error message, if not the real cause.
>
> GUI window froze or closed?
>
> Are you using any NFS mounts? I've had similar logs before, when
> trying to use an NFS mounted home directory. Something about my config
> sets gnome and NFS for murder.
> Dave

Dave I'm not near the computer that causing this problem I'm going over
there today and install NX on it so I can troubleshoot it from home, So
I will get a better look at it then, and get back to you.

It is using KDE and the firefox GUI is just shutting down, disappearing .

I will be emailing you back later today.
Thanks
Jim