what exactly does preupgrade do?

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Tue Nov 25 22:04:18 UTC 2008

Fred Silsbee wrote:
> I've saved emails from posters with conflicting opinions!
>
> Today is the day...right? Whoopee!
>
> I want to F9->F10 hopefully without downloading the dvd iso.
>
> Livecd instructions I already have

There was a link on the Fedora site, I don't have it handy.
  It explained what it did and how to invoke it.

I used it to upgrade from F7 to F9 in one step.  It worked
flawlessly, leaving me a few configuration files to examine.
  It is like the upgrade option of yum, except all of manual
options are handled automatically.  All of the Fedora 7
files that had correspondent packages in Fedora 9 had been
updated to those latest packages.

As someone pointed out here, there is a (potential) issue
with security.  The packages are checked, but the
preparation is not.  I think it was susceptible to a man in
the middle attack, or a corrupted server.  You have to judge
whether that is too much risk for you.

Hope that helps.