Preupgrade negatives -

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Wed Nov 26 00:09:34 UTC 2008

I've upgraded a couple of machines via preupgrade. On my laptop
which sits behind a DHCP enabled router, it went well except for
video not working when it first came back up. I suppose for a
newbie, that would have been a deal-breaker; for me, it was
relatively trivial - I also had some weird issues with KDE.

But today, I'm trying to upgrade a server at work which sits
right on the net and which has a fixed IP. Preupgrade keeps
choking when it gets to the part where Network Manager wants to
configure my NIC. This machine is running F9 with Network Manager
disabled, and all settings configured through the old network
service - it should not default to turning NM on and trying to
get an address via DHCP in this situation; I'll try to get a bug
filed but we're entering into holiday time in the U.S. so I may
not get to it for awhile.

The other weird thing is that it said it couldn't download the
install image or something in /boot due to insufficient space; I
uninstalled all but the current kernel and I'm showing nearly 70
mB of space in /boot; so, I'm not sure what's up with that - it
said it could download the image later if I was connected to the
net via a wire, but, with the NM thing described above, I never
got a chance to verify that. Fortunately, pressing Ctl-Alt-Del
restarts the machine in the middle of these failures, and it
boots back into my previous OS version without further incident.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA