With F10, no graphical boot mode

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 23:21:00 UTC 2008

Hi Paul,

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:06:55PM +0000, Paul Smith wrote:

> After having upgraded from F9 to F10, the boot is performed in text
> mode. How can I restore the graphical boot mode?

This means the new Plymouth boot system may not support your card --
yet -- in all its graphical glory.

You can try this, but keep in mind it is not guaranteed to work, and
in fact may keep you from booting properly.

Hold down the Ctrl key during booting to bring up the GRUB menu.  Hit
[e] to edit the GRUB configuration, arrow down to the "kernel" line,
and hit [e] to edit that.  Add the text " vga=0x317" to the end to
force a framebuffer mode that may work (you might want to try 0x318 on
some systems).  Then hit [Enter] to accept the temporary change, and
hit [b] to boot.

If it works, edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf file (as root) to add this
change if you want to keep it.  But be aware that for a few people it
causes problems.  However, I used it constantly on a laptop with Intel
945GM graphics card with no ill effects.