Fedora 10 x86_64 install issues, bugzilla?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 23:28:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 17:00 -0600, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >
> > There used to be a "Release Notes" button in Anaconda.  However, very
> > few people used it, and the amount of code that we had to carry in the
> > installer image to support it (like an HTML viewer) was large and
> > unwieldy, especially hurting people who were trying to download a
> > minimal image to install over a network/the Internet.
> >

> That is a consistent problem in Linux. Everything except for MAN pages
> require tons of libraries, fonts, and too many supporting binaries.
> Linux needs a lightweight documentation system that works in both CLI
> and GUI environments.
>
> Proposed Fedora Feature: Revolutionary, Lightweight Documentation System

+1

<rant>
I hate the increasing use of HTML docs instead of man pages. In old Unix
systems, man pages were concise, accurate and complete. Now we have
bloated, inaccurate, incomplete documentation that is hard to read and
hard to search. Large subsystems such as KDE have essentially no man
pages at all so you can't even read the docs without running a GUI.

I just updated Evolution, and by far the largest rpm was the help docs.
47 Megs for a set of poorly-indexed online help pages that doesn't even
cover all the features and has a barely functional search system, in
around 8 languages!
</rant>

poc