root login

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 27 02:02:04 UTC 2008

bruce wrote:

> not sure who you are, nor am i sure i understand your remarks. if your
> feelings are hurt, don't take it personally.

reset assured, it would take more than your comments to hurt my feelings.
nor do i take them personally, other than;

i do take them as being towards me as your comments #1 [see below, as
you seem to prefer to top post] states 'keep telling ...'.

so why even bother to post what you did, as you did?

> the fact, your approach wasn't the issue the guy was dealing with.
> would it have harmed his system, no. was it the issue, again, no.

issue was that he could not log in as root, so main intent was to get bruce
into his system with as little in his way as possible, ie, a desktop login.

> unless you "know"/trust the person giveing the advice, or unless
> you see it from a number of different people,

and your advice of 'Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 08:51:32 -0800' to edit
'/etc/pam.d', which is a directory, which i have already stated in another
post, is giving good advice?

as for good advice, that was provided by tom horsley, which i did not see
until after i replied to nick's 'text/html' post in my 'html' mbox and
changed to my text only 'inbox'.

> i would argue that
> you should take anything with a huge assed grain of salt!

argue all you wish. i am just making comments. as for salt, i do not
even use it on food.

> relax, have some turkey!

i am very relaxed. and, i will have a most enjoyable 'big bird day' tomorrow.

#1)

#2)
>> moral of story: be careful when taking advice of people you don't know!!!
>
> you can keep your reason for being snide a secret too.

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it;
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look at* it.
**
learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition'   http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
'The Linux Documentation Project'   http://www.tldp.org/