yum update on a Live USB Stick

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Thu Nov 27 12:24:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008, Daniel Kirsten wrote:

> I transfered the  F10-i686-Live-KDE.iso  to a  2GB USB-Stick (vfat) as
> described on
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-making-media.html
>
> The stick booted well, but when I tried  make   yum update , yum crashed.
> I got tons of ext3-related error messages, altough the stick has a vfat file
> system.
> After the crash,  I was no longer able to access the stick and dmesg,
> shutdown, ...  did not work.
>
> Is it generally impossible to make yum update on a live medium, or did
> it fail due to hardware problems?

The liveCD is basically a read-only file system. On top of that you can
ask for an overlay file on the USB stick when you install it to USB,
otherwise I think you get a memory overlay and changes are written to the
overlay rather than the original read-only image. You are probably getting
the ext3 errors once the overlay space has been used up.
Probably you don't have space to apply all available updates, but you will
probably succeed in applying a few selected updates as required.

 	Michael Young