has K3B been abandoned?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 27 14:48:52 UTC 2008

On Thursday 27 November 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
>On Thursday 27 November 2008 05:07:21 Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Generally, I gave up on asking k3b to verify anything.  Why?  Because when
>> its about to do the verify read, it ejects the disk and immediately pulls
>> it back in.  Then it waits for the disk to be recognized by the drive NOT!
>
>Again, it depends on the drive.  That happens on some of my boxes but not
> all of them.  For ISOs, though, it's just as easy to do an md5sum (or
> sha1sum if you prefer it).
>
>Anne

Anne, I have never had a drive, and by now I've had 7 or 8 of them hit the
bin, a computer compatible cd or dvd drive that recognized a disk in under 30
seconds.  The current one in this box is:

scsi 6:0:1:0: CD-ROM            HP       DVD Writer 1040d EH24 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5

and it take it about 45 seconds to read and register a disk before it is
accessible to mount it, and has done that since day one. It claims to be a
16x drive, but at 16x the recording can't be seen and isn't readable later,
so I run it at 4x and it leaves a nicely visible recorded area that reads in
any other dvd.

I just installed the F9 respin on an older hp box, and the dvd reader in it,
the OEM RO drive hp puts in at the factory, takes over a minute when booted
to the install disk in order that the diskcheck function of the install disk
can run.  I put one of my original but slow dvd writers in the box that runs
my milling machine, and it has always taken 40 some seconds to become ready
for outside access when a disk is inserted.

Some older cd readers may do that in 10 seconds, but I've never had one faster
than that unless it was some specialty thing in the bottom of a tv.  But
those are stripped, emasculated versions, one Magnavox a neighbor owns can't
even play a vcd I'd made of their daughters wedding.  I tried several
different video recording formats before I hit one that player could handle.
But, it was ready in just 4 or 5 seconds.  Sometimes simple is faster.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)