Network install over wireless

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Nov 27 15:10:55 UTC 2008

It's been my experience that, in recent past, DVD drives -- especially
laptop ones -- have become less and less reliable. I burned an F10 install
DVD one one server. The DVD passes media check on one laptop. On a
different, older laptop, media check kept failing, eventually it wouldn't
even boot. So that DVD drive is probably shot, but that's the point. This is
what the race to the lowest-cost supplier ended up with.

I can always install the pxeboot initrd and vmlinuz images off the
installation media, boot them via grub, and do a network install. But that
seems to work only with wired Ethernet.

Given that issues with wireless firmware have, apparently, been squared away
recently (at least for some wireless hardware), would it be possible to add
the necessary firmware files to the install image, together with the
wireless kernel modules? If so, it would be possible to activate the
wireless card, pick an access point, and supply the key. Once the IP address
is obtained from DHCP, the existing network install should then work just
fine, over the wireless.

I don't seem to remember hearing about any distro being able to install over
wireless. It would be quite a hoot.