Network install over wireless

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 15:17:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 10:10 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> It's been my experience that, in recent past, DVD drives --
> especially
> laptop ones -- have become less and less reliable. I burned an F10
> install
> DVD one one server. The DVD passes media check on one laptop. On a
> different, older laptop, media check kept failing, eventually it
> wouldn't
> even boot. So that DVD drive is probably shot, but that's the point.
> This is
> what the race to the lowest-cost supplier ended up with.

It may not be the drive. Media varies enormously in real performance,
e.g. DVDs sold as 16x may not be reliable at anything over 12x. Media
that one drive can read won't work well in another (because it's too
close to the spec limit), etc. etc.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/ has some discussion of the various brands.

poc