Fedora (DVD release) install from USB thumbdrive?

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 16:24:57 UTC 2008

Steve Repo wrote:

> How do I install the DVD version of Fedora 10 to my thumbdrive? Since
> I do lot of installs on various computers, installing it from a thumb
> drive is much more convenient since none of the boxes have DVD drives
> and I rather not carry a external USB drive and DVD for install.
>
> Thanks for any help,

One way would be to plug in the usb key and copy the DVD iso to the HD on
the machine you want to install from onto a partition that won't be
overwritten during the install.  Then loop mount the iso file, and copy out
the vmlinuz and initrd.img files from the isolinux directory into the /boot
area, and add a new section to the grub.conf file to boot the install iso.

Mae sure that you also look at the install from hard drive advice at
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-installing-from-harddrive.html

HTH