preupgrade fails

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Thu Nov 27 16:37:39 UTC 2008

Colin Brace wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to upgrade an F9 system to F10 using preupgrade.
>
> First, preupgrade complains there isn't enough space on the boot partition:
>
>     Not enough space in /boot/upgrade to download install.img.
>
>     The installer can download this file once it starts, but this requires a
> wired network connection during installation.
>
> Fine, I go ahead, and it downloads all the RPMs.
>
> Then, when everything is done, it prompts for a reboot. I click the "reboot"
> button, and this text is displayed in the terminal window:
>
>    Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
>
> After twenty minutes I give up waiting, and reboot manually.

This seems excessive.  And like a bug.  Should be
bugzillaed, see below.

> After rebooting, the system can't find the .img file, so it offers to
> download one from a local FTP mirror, displaying what looks like an
> authentic URL. But it refuses to accept it, no matter how many times I press
> "continue", even though there should be a live LAN connection.

Try another mirror, one you can download from in F9.  i.e.
surf over to it and grab a package.

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/10/

> If offers to allow me to continue "manually" but of course I don't have a
> local DVD image on hand. So, I reboot, and am back in F9.

If you go look in /var/cache/yum/updates/packages or
/var/cache/yum/fedora/packages, are all the downloaded RPMs
there?  It might have created its own cache called
preupgrade under the yum directory.  If they are, you should
be able to continue with the manual.

> Any suggestions on how to get this working? My /boot partition (non-LVM) is
> 99MB, of which 49MB is in use. Does anyone know how big the .img file is and
> whether there is anything I can delete in /boot to make room for it?

Someone posted that it is 106 MB, and that the
recommendation for boot partitions has been at 100 MB for
many years.

> TIA
>
> -----
>   Colin Brace
>   Amsterdam
>   http://lim.nl

I suggest that you bugzilla this, basically cutting and
pasting the text above into the bugzilla.  Unless someone
can offer a quick and easy fix.  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/