Packages without source?

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Thu Nov 27 17:07:35 UTC 2008

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Why are there packages for which there are no corresponding source?
> Given the number of packages which are not part of Fedora because they
> are not licensed in open enough fashion, I would expect that all of the
> packages which are available as binary are also available as source.
>
> My latest run-in with this is xawtv, which I believe I got from rawhide,
> version "xawtv.i386 3.95-8.fc9" for which I find no source. It appears

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/packages/xawtv/3.95/8.fc9/src/xawtv-3.95-8.fc9.src.rpm

Using "yumdownloader --source xawtv" should also retrieve the SRPM for you.

Where were you looking for it?

 > to be compiled in some "safe" configuration, with no mmx, sse, etc,
 > and is dog slow. I attempted to compile the source from the original
 > site, but that will not compile with the current FC9 or 10 gcc.

It may be worth filing a bug but there could be sound reasons why this
was chosen by the maintainer. I know nothing about xawtv so I can't
really comment on that.

Regards,
Bryn.