F-10 text install, now want GUI

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Thu Nov 27 17:10:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 07:12:07 -0800 (PST)
Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> system-config-display was depracted since the native detection works for most combinations

Gosh, I hope system-config-display doesn't go away.  I have been (reluctantly)
using the proprietary ATI driver from Livna on this computer up to this point.
I updated it to F10 last night and it wouldn't finish booting at runlevel 5.
(Kept flashing "Loading /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.map" on the screen.)

I rebooted again to runlevel 3 and ran "yum remove kmod-fglrx", then "yum
upgrade".  After that I rebooted again to runlevel 3 and logged back in to my
usual desktop but the image was squished.  That's the reason why I started
using the proprietary ATI driver in the first place -- I couldn't get the
open-source one to drive my screen at 1680x1050.  I then ran
system-config-display and told it to use the raedon driver instead of the vesa
driver that it had defaulted to.  (My card is an ATI X1550).  When I logged out
the whole shebang locked up so I had to restart it by turning the power off, but
after I rebooted everything works fine at the proper resolution.

So the moral of the story is, there's no longer any need to use the proprietary
ATI video driver if you have a widescreen monitor.  Which suits me fine.