booting hangs on grub

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Nov 27 21:38:03 UTC 2008

Peter Lesterhuis writes:

> Hi,
> I did an upgrade from F9 to F10. I chose the option to also upgrade the
> bootloader. This is something I regret now, because when I boot the
> proces is hanging, the screen is flickering en shows the word "grub"
> about a hundred times.
> Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Something broke during the upgrade. Try to rerun the installer, choose the
upgrade again, and let it quickly figure out that nothing needs upgrading.
Another attempt will be made to reinstall grub. See if that fixes it.

If it's still broken, boot the installer and choose the recovery mode.
chroot /mnt/sysimage, then rerun /sbin/grub-install.

If it's still broken, your device map is probably wrong. Grab the contents
of your menu.lst, while you're in the recovery shell, as well as the
contents of /boot/device.map, and explain what storage devices you have in
this machine.