Data persistence/ retaining setup/ booting with a Live USB release ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 14:08:08 UTC 2008

My friend's laptop died.  She needs to reinstall XP but she has lost her
install disks and the XP install disks we have tried thus far don't work
for her machine.

I like F10 so much I am thinking of recommending it for her machine.
I'd like to send her a USB flash drive with F10 on it that she could try
on her machine.

Here is the hitch: I'd like to set up some panels and add a few
applications to it before I send it to her.

I've never used a live USB flash drive version, only the live CDs.  How
is data persistence supported with the live USB version ?   If I add an
application, does it add it to the applications on the USB flash drive ?
What about desktop settings ?

I am not sure the BIOS on her computer supports booting from a USB
device.  Does the USB Live install have a clever way of dealing with
this ?

Thanks