F9 Mono

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Fri Nov 28 17:50:37 UTC 2008

Hi,

> Thanks for the response which raises for me additional questions below.

No problem

> > > I was thinking of
> > > /usr/bin/mono
> >
> > executes mono apps
>
> what are some of the mono apps and what do they do?

Monodevelop - IDE for developing .NET apps under Linux
f-spot      - Graphics package
beagle      - search thing

> > > /usr/bin/mono-service
> > > /usr/bin/mono-service2
> >
> > Both mono-service and mono-service2 are from xsp (run ASPX files)
>
> I find no info on xsp (no man or info entries).
> What programs invoke these mono utilities?

XSP runs with mod_mono which is an Apache2 module. xsp is the ASP.NET
server.

> > You'll get lots of them from the main mono packages, but a pile of
> > others from different apps. They should all live in /usr/lib
> > or /usr/lib64 though
>
> What purpose do the .exe files serve in F9?

Usually, the files in /usr/bin that run .NET applications are just
scripts that execute mono with some argument or other. The argument used
points to the appropriate .exe in /usr/lib[64]/application_name. For
example, the one for monodevelop in /usr/bin reads (on my box - snipped
down a lot!)

MD_BIN_PATH=/usr/lib/monodevelop/bin

exec -a "monodevelop"  /usr/bin/mono --debug ./MonoDevelop.exe "$@"

This sets the binary path to be /usr/lib/monodevelop/bin - the files in
there are not Linux binaries, rather they are .NET files which need mono
to run.

The second line executes /usr/bin/mono (the runtime), sets it to debug
mode and runs MonoDevelop.exe which is in /usr/lib/monodevelop/bin with
any arguments in needs (the "$@" bit).

.NET apps using mono do this to make it look like the binary is a native
linux one rather than a .NET one.

TTFN

Paul