Packages without source?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Nov 29 00:42:19 UTC 2008

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> It appears
>> to be compiled in some "safe" configuration, with no mmx, sse, etc,
>> and is dog slow. I attempted to compile the source from the original
>> site, but that will not compile with the current FC9 or 10 gcc.
>
> Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
>> It may be worth filing a bug but there could be sound reasons why this
>> was chosen by the maintainer.
>
> For example, there are i686 machines with no MMX, SSE or any other SIMD
> instructions, and Fedora still supports these.

There may be a reason to have a version compiled i386, but given that Intel and
AMD CPUs have been i686 (1996), and mmx dates back to the original Pentium (says
Wikipedia), having the 386 version the one and only version available seems to
miss the vast majority of users. Anyway, my intent is to have a version which
will capture video at a reasonable rate, and the old source I have will do that,
but it won't compile after about gcc 2.96 or so, leading me to a desire for a
newer source which will compile on versions from this millennium.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>