Fedora 9 dependency issues

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Sat Nov 29 21:13:58 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 15:31:01 -0500, Jeffrey Ross wrote:
>

>> Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>> Could you please show the result of some queries?
>>>
>>>   yum repolist
>>>   yum list tkinter python
>>>   rpm -q tkinter python
>>>
>>> And just to mention it, 2.5.1-26.fc9 (python+tkinter) is latest.
>>>

>>  * updates: mirror.umoss.org
>>  * rpmfusion-nonfree: lordmorgul.net
>> 4999 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
>>
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   ^^^
> Highly suspicious. See whether you can get rid of those excludes
> somehow (by disabling/reconfiguring Yum plugins).
>

>> Available Packages
>> tkinter.x86_64                           2.5.1-25.fc9
>> fedora
>>

> -26.fc9 is in updates-newkey
>

>> [jeff at wisdom tmp]$ rpm -q tkinter python
>> package tkinter is not installed
>> python-2.5.1-26.fc9.x86_64
>>

> The old tkinter you're seeing requires the old python (-25.fc9) from
> the original "fedora" Everything repo. You've got the update for Python
> already, -26.fc9, but not the corresponding tkinter. They are built
> from the same src.rpm and are found in the updates repo.

well you pointed me in the right direction.  The problem was not
completely due to the excludes but how the priorities were configured.
Basically when the "new-key" repros were put into place I never upped
the priority for it and as such was only checked if no other repo's had
the file I was looking for.

Thanks, Jeff