F10 flat out rocks...

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 22:12:07 UTC 2008

--- On Sat, 11/29/08, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at panet.rs> wrote:

> From: Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at panet.rs>
> Subject: Re: F10 flat out rocks...
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com, olivares14031 at yahoo.com
> Date: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 1:22 PM
> On Saturday 29 November 2008 19:47, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > > The machine was just built.  It is new, It is a
> dual
> > > boot with Mr. Gates OS as well.  It has not
> frozen like
> > > Fedora has.  I have run Slax on it for two days
> straight and
> > > no freezes.  I have blacklisted r8169 driver on
> it and I see
> > > errors with drm.  I have booted with acpi=off and
> running it
> > > so far so good with X ond so far with execption
> of the
> > > following when running dmesg: I see

> > > 00  ................
> [snip]
> > >
> > > That's is an Xorg message. When you say the
> machine
> > > freezes.. does it
> > > actually freeze or does just the GUI freeze?
> > >
> > > Can you Ctrl+Alt+F1 after a freeze?
> >
> > No can't do Sh***t.  Have to press reboot button
> or manually power down by
> > pressing and holding power button :(
>
> EDID is the information the monitor sends to the computer
> that contains valid
> resolutions, modelines, frequencies etc... that the monitor
> supports. I have
> no idea why would the machine freeze if given wrong (or
> null) EDID info from
> the monitor. But nevertheless, why don't you try
> substituting the monitor
> with another one (if you happen to have a spare one
> around)?
>
> HTH, :-)
> Marko

I have trid it on two monitors, one Dell 1028L, which supports up to 1280x1024 and this ViewSonic G75 f, which can go as high as 1600x1200 :),

I had to include an xorg.conf file here, because the best I could get without one was 640x480 and still computer would freeze with that resolution :(

Thanks,

Antonio