some feedback on fedora 10

Russell Miller duskglow at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 01:37:34 UTC 2008

OK, I just upgrated to fedora 10.  I've already filed some bug reports,
but here's some feedback.

1)  FC9 preupgrade didn't work.  It left the /var off of the cache
location.  I had to fix it manually and reboot.
2)  nv driver is broken with my card.  Bug filed on that, so I won't go
into too much further detail, except to say it doesn't detect ANY video ram.
3)  One thing I would really, really like - and I'm half tempted to just
write it myself - is a tool to take the stock fedora kernel and build a
new one - with the options that *I* want.  Building a new kernel is a
pain in the kiester, and the lack of a good tool to do so (I'm not aware
of one and a quick search on freshmeat doesn't turn one up) is kind
of...  surprising, considering that the kernel has been around for so
many years.  Is it that much of a black art?
4)  KMS seems cool, but it doesn't work on my card, so it falls back to
a lame progress bar on the bottom of the screen.  Can we be a little
more informative than that?  It didn't even tell me I could press
escape, I had to figure that out on my own.

Other than that fact that I can't get X to working properly either with
the proprietary or free drivers, seems pretty cool.  However, *that* is
a showstopper.

--Russell