Selinux

Russell Miller duskglow at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 01:47:21 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:
> So why isn't it much simpler and less trouble to just turn off
> selinux in the first place? I get the same level of security in the
> end, and much less hassle in the meantime :-).
>
> (Some days I feel like I should start the Linux Curmudgeon blog,
> but there is probably one out there already - I haven't looked).

I think that there's little doubt that selinux is a good idea.  But it's
only been recently that it worked well enough for me to actually leave
it on, and even now I get AVC denial messages for stuff Fedora itself
installs (got a few the other day when starting firefox on a *freshly
upgraded* FC10 system.

This does strike me as a little sloppy.  If Fedora installs it,
shouldn't Fedora set selinux to allow it?  Maybe I'm missing something...

I dunno.  Selinux has always struck me like a car alarm that gives you
thirty seconds to enter in a 100 digit code.  Faced with that, it's no
wonder people shut it down.

--Russell