Fedora 10 Live CD hangs at boot

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 18:16:01 UTC 2008

Antonio Olivares wrote:

>> Technologies Inc RS690 [Radeon X1200 Series]

>> Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
>> controller (rev 01)
>>

>>> I've tried to blacklist r8169 but that did
>>>
>> nothing..
>>
>>> Here's my lspci:
>>>

> The driver is different, it won't help because your driver is differernt from mine, so you can remove that blacklist :)
>

>>> 00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation Device
>>>
>> 0ab0 (rev b1)
>>

>>> 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies
>>>
>> Inc R423 UI [Radeon
>>
>>> X800PRO (PCIE)]
>>> 02:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc R423
>>>
>> UI [Radeon X800PRO
>>

> The thing that we have in common is that the Radeon driver is about common.
>

>> Update:
>> I went ahead and did a textinstall - the system boots to
>> login prompt,
>> but after accepting the password the behavior is the same
>> as it was
>> earlier (progress bar goes up until 80% and system freezes)
>> Also tried with i686 Live KDE CD - same results
>>

>> --
>>

> I installed Fedora using textinstall and updated it.  The machine starts in level 3 everytime, a nice boot splash appears and then the login prompt shows up.  The machine has not frozen as of yet :), (** crossing my fingers **)
>
> machine has run for 7:27, I will leave it on and see what happens.  I boot with acpi=off, have you tried that option?
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio

I got mine to run by using textinstall, then I got into text mode after
boot (before logging in), updated to latest version. Rebooted - froze
again after login.
In text mode, installed vim and radeonhd driver. Rebooted again - logged
in and switched to text mode asap. When I came back to graphical mode,
the login has passed the freezing point.
Now it logs in just fine.

Not sure yet if it's stable, though.