some feedback on fedora 10

Russell Miller duskglow at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 22:15:28 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
>

>> Most people do not have the need for a new kernel since the official
>> Fedora ones do the job, but there might be special needs that the OP has,
>> so he can go on and build his custom kernel.
>>

> In my limited experience, it is much easier and just as fruitful
> to compile the official kernel rather than the Fedora one.
> (I used to have to do this to get orinoco_usb working.)
> I never found anything in the Fedora changes to the official kernel
> that I seemed to require.

A well-written tool should work on either.

No, I don't *need* another kernel.  But I'm not a n00b (hopefully that's
not a pejorative, it's not meant as such), and I like to explore the
kernel options and see what's out there.  I'd like to have a way to just
press a button and make it happen, after setting my options - and to
know at a glance which options do what, which are dangerous, etc., etc.
Just seems like one of the things that is perfectly suited to a nice
graphical interface.

--Russell