F10: no dpms default?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200811 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 23:11:36 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley <tom.horsley at att.net> writes:
> Here's an oddity: After switching to f10 I noticed my
> monitor was never turning off. I checked "xset q" and
> it says the dpms settings are "0 0 0" (which disables
> dpms).

I remember trying to figure this out many releases ago.  I don't think
fedora uses the native X dpms.  It has never been on as long as I can
recall.

There is a second parallel timer maintained by some gnome entity that
needs to be set via the gnome-control-center.  It appears to me that
if you run that from the root account (after being chastised for
running the gui under root), that the root-changed settings may get
written to a system-wide database.  It just seemed to me that when I
lowered the dpms timeouts for the root account that the dpms timeouts
for the default login screen also were lowered.

Not sure what the kde folks are supposed to do.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              http://www.full-steam.org/  (ipv6-only)
         You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.