Can't load cpuspeed

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 1 19:43:27 UTC 2008

Alessandro Boggiano wrote:

> Standards are good,but I'm starting to hate that notebook's fan! ;)

wear headset and listen to some good progressive jazz. ;o)

>>grep initdefault /etc/inittab
> id:5:initdefault:

see 'checkconfig' below.

from this;
>>modprobe -c|grep acpi
<snip>
> alias acpi acpi-cpufreq

you have module and 'lsmod|grep cpufreq' will show if it is loaded

in your first post, you wrote;
+++
FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq
(/lib/modules/2.6.26.6-49.fc8/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko):
No such device
+++
is this from boot or 'modprobe acpi-cpufreq'?

for you info, have a good look at 'man modprobe' and note '-C' and '-f'.

>>chkconfig --list|grep cpuspeed
> cpuspeed        0:off   1:on    2:on    3:on    4:on    5:off   6:off

this shows your services have 'cpuspeed' turned off for 'level 5'.
should be _on_.

>>dmesg |grep -i acpi
<snip>
> Kernel command line: ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb selinux=0 debug acpi=force
> cpufreq.debug=7

remove 'debug' from kernel command line.

>>dmesg |grep -i proc
> Detected 1600.066 MHz processor.
> Checking if this processor honours the WP bit even in supervisor mode...Ok.
> CPU0: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor         1.60GHz stepping 08
> Total of 1 processors activated (3201.64 BogoMIPS).
> *speedstep-ich: Intel(R) SpeedStep(TM) capable processor not found* <---
> ACPI: Processor [CPU0] (supports 8 throttling states)

if i read this right, you have 8 steps of cpu clock, but not 'speedstep'.

not familiar with 'speedstep'. suggest you use *linux google'
 http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&output=linux&restrict=linux
[change 'hl=en' to language of choice if you do not want english]

for line 'all these words:' use "speedstep-ich AND acer", without "".
have a read thru.

must leave out and let you play for a while.

time here is 1942 hrs utc. i need to unload some more of my 'treasures'
from a 43 foot trailer before 'dark thirty'.

have fun. good luck. later.
- --

tc,hago.

.