Fedora vs RedHat

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Nov 3 01:33:30 UTC 2008

Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 06:30:45PM -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> Where are people using fedora?  How many?
>>>
>> Well, it is just a guess, but I would think that most of the people
>> on this list are using Fedora. (Why else be on the list?) As for how
>> many? Who know. When you can not even get hard numbers on how many
>> people are running some Linux distribution, how are you going to
>> come up with the number of people using Fedora?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics
> uses some fairly decent guesses, noting how these statistics may not
> be perfect, but they're as close as we have.

May I say that these numbers probably under-report by quite a bit, or at least
the number of machines is not the same as the number of downloads. Once I find a
comfort level with a release I drop it on 6-8 machines, using the bits I've
downloaded. Each upgrade gets pulled once, and is archived from cache to a
central location from which all new installs are done (by way of DVD rather than
network at times).

On the other hand, there may be a tiny percentage of people who download Fedora
and either don't try it or try it and don't use it. I have heard rumors of
people like that.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>